- Have you ever tried jamu before?
- Do you think jamu tastes good?
- generation /jen-uh-REY-shuhn/
- traditional /truh-DISH-uh-nl/
- recipe /RES-uh-pee/
- spices /spahys/
- herb /urb/
[noun] – all the people who are about the same age
My grandmother has a lot of old photographs that she likes to show me. It’s nice to see how our family has changed from generation to generation.
[adjective] – following the customs or ways of behaving that have continued in a group of people for a long time
In my family, it is a traditional custom to have a big dinner on Christmas Eve with all of our relatives.
[noun] – a list of foods and a set of instructions telling you how to cook something
My mom’s recipe for chicken soup is my favorite comfort food. I always ask her to make it for me when I’m feeling sick.
[noun] – a substance made from a plant, used to give a special taste to food
I love to cook with different spices to add flavor to my dishes. Some of my favorites are cumin, paprika, and cinnamon.
[noun] – a plant that is used in cooking to add flavour to food
Some herbs, like basil and mint, are often used in cooking to add flavor to dishes.
Jamu has a fascinating history that dates back to the 8th century, when it was first prepared by the royal healers of the ancient kingdom of Mataram. Originally a drink reserved for the wealthy, jamu’s recipe gradually became more accessible, and locals started creating their own versions using the plants and spices that were readily available to them. What makes jamu stand out is not only its delicious taste but also its potent medicinal properties. The herbs and spices used in jamu are known for their anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which can help boost the immune system and prevent various illnesses. Jamu’s healing properties have made it a popular natural remedy in Indonesia for those seeking a healthier lifestyle.
In conclusion, jamu is more than just a drink. It is a traditional and cultural heritage that has been passed down through generations and is valued for its medicinal properties.
True or False:
- Jamu is a traditional herbal drink from Indonesia.
- The recipe for jamu has been passed down from generation to generation.
- Jamu was first prepared by the royal healers of the ancient kingdom of Bali.
- Originally, jamu was only consumed by the wealthy.
- The plants and spices used in jamu have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Fill in the blanks:
- My father always tells me stories about his childhood, and I love to listen to how things were different for his ______.
- My mom always adds a lot of ______ to her curry, which makes it really tasty but also quite spicy!
- I found a ______ for chocolate chip cookies online and decided to try it out. They turned out delicious!
- In many countries, it is______ to wear special clothing or costumes during cultural festivals and celebrations.
- My grandmother likes to use ______ like chamomile and lavender to make teas that help her relax and sleep better.