- Have you ever heard of a progressive city that is not well-known?
- Have you ever visited or lived in a city that you would consider to be progressive?
- destination /des-tuh-NEY-shuhn/
- remain /ri-MEYN/
- celebrate /SEL-uh-breyt/
- creative /kree-EY-tiv/
- willing /WIL-ing/
[noun] – the place where someone is going or where something is being sent or taken
Our family is going on a vacation to a beautiful destination in the mountains next month.
[verb] – to stay in the same place or in the same condition
After finishing her work, Sarah remained in the office to help her colleagues.
[verb] – to take part in special enjoyable activities in order to show that a particular occasion is important
We will celebrate my sister’s birthday by having a party with cake and presents.
[adjective] – producing or using original and unusual ideas
Tom is a very creative person who enjoys painting and making sculptures in his free time.
[adjective] – be willing (to do something)
I am willing to help my friend move to a new apartment this weekend.
Yogyakarta is a city that celebrates its cultural heritage in many ways. Its vibrant art scene is a testament to this, with batik fabric, puppetry, and street art being just a few of the creative expressions that can be found here. The city’s progressive mindset is also evident, with gender equality and sustainability at the forefront of community-led initiatives. Yogyakarta’s universities and research centers also create a dynamic intellectual community, offering visitors the chance to learn more about the city’s academic and research scene.
Yogyakarta may not be as well-known as some of Indonesia’s other cities, but for those willing to venture off the beaten path, it is a destination that should not be missed.
True or False:
- Yogyakarta is a city in Indonesia that is waiting to be explored.
- Yogyakarta is a city that offers a unique blend of history, art, culture, and modernity. –
- Yogyakarta’s art scene includes music and dance.
- Yogyakarta celebrates its cultural heritage in many ways, including through batik fabric, puppetry, and street art.
- Yogyakarta is as well-known as some of Indonesia’s other cities.
Fill in the blanks:
- The manager is looking for employees who are ______ to work on weekends and holidays.
- The train will arrive at its ______ in fifteen minutes, so please make sure to gather all your belongings.
- Our teacher asked us to write a ______ story using our imaginations and the words she gave us.
- Please ______ seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- On New Year’s Eve, people around the world ______ the start of a new year with fireworks and champagne.