- starvation /stahr-VEY-shuhn/
- drought /drout/
- prey /prey/
- official /uh-FISH-uhl/
- minimize /MIN-uh-mahyz/
[noun] – the state of having no food for a long period, often causing death
The documentary sheds light on the devastating effects of starvation in poverty-stricken areas.
[noun] – a long period when there is little or no rain
The farmers struggled to irrigate their fields during the prolonged drought.
[noun] – an animal that is hunted and killed for food by another animal
The hawk circled in the sky, searching for its next prey.
[noun] – a person who has a position of responsibility in an organization
The government officials discussed policy changes during the meeting.
[verb] – to reduce something to the least possible level or amount
She closed the windows to minimize the amount of noise coming from outside.
The six lions killed on Saturday were responsible for attacking and killing 11 goats and a dog. The incidents occurred within the Amboseli ecosystem in Kajiado County, near Mount Kilimanjaro, a UNESCO biosphere reserve. In response to the escalating conflict, the KWS organized a meeting involving local communities and government officials. The discussions focused on finding ways to minimize human-wildlife conflict by developing early warning systems and exploring the broader issue of coexistence between communities and wildlife, including benefit sharing. The recent spike in lion killings highlights the urgent need to address human-wildlife conflict in Kenya. Efforts must be made to raise awareness among communities about the presence of wildlife and provide support for mitigating conflicts. Additionally, sustainable strategies should be implemented to ensure the livelihoods of both communities and wildlife are protected, fostering harmonious coexistence in these shared landscapes.
- How do you think the recent lion killings in southern Kenya impact the local community and the wildlife population?
- What are your thoughts on the actions of the livestock owner who killed Loonkiito, the lion that ventured into the livestock pen? Do you think there could have been a different way to handle the situation?
- Have you ever heard of or experienced human-wildlife conflict in your local area or country?
- Do you think there is a way to strike a balance between protecting the interests of local communities, such as livestock owners, and ensuring the conservation of endangered species like lions? How would you approach this challenge?
- If you were a member of the KWS or a conservation organization, what measures or initiatives would you propose to minimize human-wildlife conflict and promote coexistence?
- human-wildlife conflict
- livestock pen
- conservation organization
- biosphere reserve