- Have you already watched a movie that foretold the future?
- Do you like watching reality shows?
- audience /AW-dee-uhns/
- role /rohl/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
- gain /geyn/
- challenge /CHAL-inj/
[noun] – the group of people together in one place to watch or listen to a play, movie, someone speaking, etc.
The performers on stage smiled as they received applause from the appreciative audience.
[noun] – an actor’s part in a movie or play
In the school play, Emily had the important role of playing the princess.
[verb] – to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience
The weather forecast can help us predict if it will rain or be sunny tomorrow.
[verb] – to get something that is useful, that gives you an advantage, or that is in some way positive, especially over a period of time
I studied hard for the math test and gained a better understanding of fractions and decimals.
[noun] – (the situation of being faced with) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability
Solving math problems can be a challenge, but with practice, you can improve your skills and overcome it.
“The Truman Show” cleverly anticipated the surge in reality TV, captivating audiences with its portrayal of Truman, who unwittingly played the role of a human spectacle. It predicted the invasion of privacy and the exploitation of personal moments for mass consumption. This thought-provoking movie delved into the ethical dilemmas surrounding the manipulation of lives, a subject that continues to be vigorously debated. As depicted in the film, our society has become fixated on observing others, blurring the line between reality and illusion. “The Truman Show” predicted surveillance, loss of freedom, and social media obsession. Truman’s fight to escape mirrors our concerns about online surveillance and connectivity.
“The Truman Show” serves as a remarkable testament to the power of movies to predict the future. By exploring these insightful themes, we gain a deeper understanding of our own world and the challenges we confront.
True or False:
- “The Truman Show” accurately predicted the rise of reality TV.
- The film depicts Truman as a willing participant in the human spectacle.
- “The Truman Show” raised ethical questions about the manipulation of lives.
- The movie suggests that society has become obsessed with observing others.
- “The Truman Show” provides a shallow understanding of our world and the challenges we face.
Fill in the blanks:
- By participating in the science experiment, the students were able to ______ hands-on experience and learn about the different states of matter.
- Learning a new language may pose a ______ at first, but with dedication and perseverance, you can make progress and achieve fluency.
- Sarah was excited to take on the lead ______ in the school’s musical, where she would sing and dance on stage.
- Based on the dark clouds and strong winds, I can ______ that a storm is coming.
- The teacher spoke loudly and clearly to ensure that the entire ______ could hear the instructions.