- sustain /suh-STEYN/
- deceased /dih-SEEST/
- grim /grim /
- attribute /uh-tTRIB-yoot/
- accountable /uh-KOUN-tuh-buhl/
[verb] – to cause or allow something to continue for a period of time
The athlete continued running despite sustaining a leg injury during the race.
[adjective] – dead
The family gathered to remember their deceased relatives and share stories about their lives.
[adjective] – worrying, without hope
The news of their team’s defeat brought a grim expression to their faces.
[verb] – to say or think that something is the result of a particular thing
She attributes her success to hard work and perseverance.
[adjective] – Someone who is accountable is completely responsible for what they do and must be able to give a satisfactory reason for it
As a team leader, she is accountable for the success or failure of the project.
The Minister of Railways has attributed the accident to a change in electronic interlocking and has assured that those responsible will be held accountable. The collision involved the Coromandel Express, which had been diverted onto a loop line and collided with a stationary goods train before being struck by the oncoming Howrah Express. The high speeds at which these trains were traveling exacerbated the impact and resulted in a significant number of casualties. Efforts are currently focused on clearing the wreckage and repairing the tracks to restore normal rail operations. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed his commitment to holding the responsible parties accountable for the tragedy, highlighting the urgent need to address safety concerns and modernize India’s aging railway infrastructure, which dates back over 160 years.
- Have you or someone you know experienced any transportation accidents? If so, would you share your or their experience? If not, how do you think you can better prepare for it?
- Was there an instance where you felt unsafe while traveling or transporting? Can you share your experience? If you haven’t experienced any such incidents, do you feel more concerned about safety when traveling within your own country or when traveling abroad?
- Do you believe that they should resume operations immediately after an accident?
- What are your thoughts on the article about the accident in India?
- What steps can India take to improve its transportation system, similar to what your country is already doing?