- Have you ever gotten sick from eating contaminated food?
- Are you scared of foodborne illnesses?
- handle /HAN-dl/
- responsible /ri-SPON-suh-buhl/
- access /AK-ses/
- communication /kuh-myoo-ni-KEY-shuhn/
- prevent /pri-VENT/
[verb] – to touch or hold with your hands
You have to carefully handle the fragile glassware to avoid any breakage during the experiment.
[ri-SPON-suh-buhl] – deserving blame
The careless driver was responsible for the accident that caused extensive damage to both vehicles.
[noun] – the ability, right, or permission to approach, enter, speak with, or use
The library provides computer access to students for research and study purposes.
[noun] – the activity of expressing or exchanging information, feelings etc.
The company organized a meeting to improve communication between different departments.
[verb] – to stop something from happening or someone from doing something
Installing smoke detectors in your home can help prevent fire-related accidents.
The study also found that there were communication gaps between restaurants and workers. While most restaurants had policies requiring sick staff to inform managers and report symptoms, only 23% specified all five symptoms that should keep someone from working: vomiting, diarrhea, pus-filled wounds, a sore throat with a fever, or jaundice. The CDC recommends implementing comprehensive food safety policies to reduce contamination risks. Additionally, a foodborne illness attorney suggests that restaurant workers receive hepatitis A vaccinations to prevent outbreaks.
True or False:
- Sick restaurant workers who handle food never cause foodborne illnesses to spread.
- Norovirus is responsible for 47% of foodborne illness outbreaks.
- Salmonella caused 41% of foodborne illness outbreaks.
- Only 44% of restaurants provided paid sick leave to their workers.
- Comprehensive food safety policies to reduce contamination risks are not recommended.
Fill in the blanks:
- Vaccinations can _______________ the spread of certain infectious diseases.
- The hotel offers complimentary Wi-Fi _______________ to all its guests.
- The company faced legal consequences as it was found _______________ for environmental pollution.
- He struggled to _______________ the heavy box, calling for assistance.
- Effective _______________ is essential for building strong relationships.