- divert /dih-VURT/
- vulnerable /VUHL-ner-uh-buhl/
- surplus /SUR-pluhs/
- emission /ih-MISH-uhn/
- underway /UHN-der-wey/
[verb] – to cause something or someone to change direction
The road closure diverted traffic to an alternative route, relieving congestion and improving traffic flow.
[adjective] – able to be easily physically, emotionally, or mentally hurt, influenced, or attacked
Elderly individuals are often more vulnerable to scams and fraud, so it’s important to educate and protect them from financial exploitation.
[noun] – an extra amount that is not needed
The bakery had a surplus of baked goods, so they went on sale.
[noun] – an amount of gas, heat, light, etc. that is sent out
The adoption of electric vehicles helped to reduce emissions and promote a greener transportation system.
[adjective] – having already started
The small shop’s expansion plans are underway, with new branches being set up and hiring processes in progress.
Demand for used cars in African countries is high due to limited access to credit, making new cars unaffordable. This demand is expected to rise further as the adoption of electric vehicles increases in the West, creating a surplus of used cars available for export. However, the quality of these cars is often declining, with older and more polluting vehicles being shipped. Weak regulations for vehicle emissions and safety in West Africa have allowed polluting and unsafe cars to enter the region. Efforts have been made to tighten regulations, but enforcement remains uncertain. Discussions are underway to regulate the export of old or junk cars to developing nations, but no concrete commitments have been made. Transitioning to electric vehicles could be a solution, but it requires significant improvements in charging infrastructure. For now, affordability remains the main factor influencing car purchases in West Africa, as seen in Fifa Park.
- If you were given the choice, which would you prefer, an electric car or one that runs on gasoline? Why?
- The article mentioned what the rise of electric cars does to vulnerable nations. Will that information affect your preference for cars?
- Do you think vulnerable countries are at a disadvantage in this situation?
- What are the environmental and climate-related implications of diverting used cars to vulnerable countries in West Africa?
- Why is there a high demand for used cars in African countries, and how does limited access to credit affect the affordability of new cars?
- electric vehicles
- vulnerable countries
- vehicle emission
- junk cars