- Are you familiar with the marine animal called a beluga whale?
- Do you think animals can be trained to perform highly complicated tasks?
- whale /hweyl/
- coast /kohst /
- expert /EK-spurt/
- equipment /ih-KWIP-muhnt/
- population /pop-yuh-LEY-shuhn /
[noun] – a very large sea mammal that breathes air through a hole at the top of its head
The whale gracefully emerged from the water, showcasing its immense size.
[noun ] – the land next to or close to the sea
We took a leisurely walk along the sandy coast, enjoying the gentle breeze and the sound of crashing waves.
[noun] – a person with a high level of knowledge or skill relating to a particular subject or activity
The expert was called in to provide insights and advice on the project.
[noun] – the set of necessary tools, clothing, etc. for a particular purpose
The chef relied on high-quality kitchen equipment to prepare delicious meals.
[noun] – all the people living in a particular country, area, or place
The city’s population is diverse, with people from different cultural backgrounds.
Concerns arose when Hvaldimir approached Oslo, a densely populated area, increasing the risk of harm from human contact. Experts believe Hvaldimir is a trained animal because of the special harness he wore, which had markings and camera mounts saying “”Equipment St. Petersburg.”” There are allegations that the whale originated in Russia and might have been trained by the Russian Navy for military tasks. Although Hvaldimir faces challenges in Sweden due to the high population density, OneWhale and the Swedish authorities are committed to ensuring the whale’s well-being. Hvaldimir’s presence in Scandinavian waters highlights the interest and concerns regarding the potential involvement of marine animals in military activities.
True or False:
- Hvaldimir is a dolphin that has been swimming in the Atlantic.
- OneWhale is an organization dedicated to protecting Hvaldimir.
- Hvaldimir occasionally stops at fish farms along the Norwegian coast to eat.
- Experts believe Hvaldimir may have been trained by the American Navy for military tasks.
- The Swedish authorities are committed to ensuring Hvaldimir’s well-being.
Fill in the blanks:
- They enjoyed a leisurely stroll along the sandy _______________, enjoying the sound of crashing waves.
- The research team brought advanced scientific _______________ to study the whales’ migration patterns.
- The majestic _______________ breached the water’s surface, displaying its immense size and grace.
- The decline in the seal _______________ is affecting the food chain and impacting the whale population.
- The conference featured a renowned marine _______________ as the keynote speaker, sharing insights on whale behavior.