©PBS News Hour
- Have you ever used social media platforms like Twitter or Instagram?
- Have you heard of Meta’s Threads app?
- gain /geyn/
- competitor /kuhm-PET-i-ter/
- similar /SIM-uh-ler/
- compete /kuhm-PEET/
- option /OP-shuhn/
[verb] – to get something that is useful, that gives you an advantage, or that is in some way positive, especially over a period of time
She studied hard to gain knowledge and improve her grades in school.
[kuhm-PET-i-ter] – a person, team, or company that is competing against others
She trained hard to prepare for the upcoming race and beat her competitors.
[adjective] – looking or being almost, but not exactly, the same
My friend has a similar taste in music as I do.
[verb] – to try to be more successful than someone or something else
The athletes are training hard to compete in the upcoming race.
[noun] – one thing that can be chosen from a set of possibilities, or the freedom to make a choice
Sarah was given the option to work from home or come to the office for the meeting.
True or False:
- Threads allows users to make short posts and has features similar to Twitter.
- Mark Zuckerberg has no interest in making Threads a widely-used app.
- Threads is available in the European Union.
- Meta has no plans to explore expansion options in the EU.
- Threads is intended to be a competitor to Twitter and attract users who are dissatisfied with it.
Fill in the blanks:
- Our team is determined to stay ahead of our ___________ by offering unique products.
- The restaurant is trying to _______ with the popular food chain by offering a similar menu at lower prices.
- He worked diligently to ____ experience in his chosen field of expertise.
- The restaurant offers a vegetarian ______ on its menu for those who don’t eat meat.
- The two paintings share a _______ style.