©André Zumak/Mamirauá Institute
- When you hear about dolphins and drought in an environmental context, what thoughts or concerns come to mind?
- Can you think of any ways in which the well-being of marine life like dolphins might be connected to the availability of water in their habitat, especially during a drought?
- crisis /KRAHY-sis/
- distressing /dih-STRESS-ing/
- species /SPEE-sheez/
- assess /uh-SES/
- authority /uh-THAWR-i-tee/
[noun] – a time of great disagreement, confusion, or suffering
The economic crisis led to widespread unemployment and financial instability.
[adjective] – a feeling of extreme worry, sadness, or pain
Witnessing the distressing scene in the movie left many audience members in tears.
[noun] – a set of animals or plants, members of which have similar characteristics to each other and which can breed with each other
Conservation efforts are crucial to protect endangered species from extinction.
[verb] – to judge or decide the amount, value, quality, or importance of something
The team will assess the impact of the new policy on the company’s bottom line.
[noun] – a group of people with official responsibility for a particular area of activity
The local authority is responsible for maintaining public services like schools and infrastructure.
André Coelho, a researcher at the Mamirauá Institute, emphasized the need to assess for toxins or viruses before releasing river dolphins into different rivers, as it carries inherent risks. The drought’s impact extends beyond the ecological realm, affecting the local economy. Approximately 59 municipalities in Amazonas State have reported below-average water levels, disrupting transportation and fishing activities on the river. Authorities are preparing for more severe droughts in the upcoming weeks, which could further worsen the dolphin mortality rate, according to CNN Brasil reports.
- What happened in the Brazilian Amazon over the past week that is described as a “crisis” in the article?
- Why is the environmental event in the Amazon considered “distressing”?
- What are the two main factors mentioned in the article that are believed to have caused the dolphin fatalities?
- Who confirmed the high number of dolphin deaths in the Amazon, and what did they suggest as potential causes?
- How has the drought in the Amazon impacted the local economy, as mentioned in the article?
- Have you ever witnessed or heard about an environmental crisis in your local area or elsewhere that deeply affected the ecosystem? If yes, could you share your experience and how it made you feel about the importance of protecting our environment? If not, how do you think such an event might impact a community and its awareness of environmental issues?
- Have you ever visited a natural ecosystem or wildlife reserve where you observed various species of animals? If yes, what was your favorite part of the experience, and did it increase your appreciation for nature and conservation efforts? If not, can you imagine how witnessing such a crisis, like the one with the dolphins in the Amazon, might impact your perspective on the importance of preserving biodiversity?
- Do you believe that the Brazilian government and international organizations should allocate significant resources to address the dolphin mortality crisis in the Amazon?
- How might the significant drought and rising temperatures impacting the Amazon and its wildlife serve as a warning about the broader issue of climate change on a global scale? What actions do you think countries should take in response to such warnings?
- Considering the complex challenges involved in relocating dolphins from remote areas to the main river body, what ethical dilemmas and practical difficulties do you envision in these rescue efforts? How can science, conservation, and community interests be balanced in such situations?