- Have you ever heard of the Sumatran rhino before?
- Is the Sumatran rhino an endangered species?
- hunt /huhnt/
- birth /burth/
- issue /ISH-oo/
- protect /pruh-TEKT/
- importance /im-PAWR-tns/
[verb] – to chase and try to catch and kill an animal or bird for food, sport, or profit
People have hunted for generations to provide food and resources.
[noun] – the time when a baby or young animal comes out of its mother’s body
The birth of a baby is a momentous occasion for any family.
[noun] – a subject or problem that people are thinking about and talking about
Environmental issues, such as climate change, require global attention.
[verb] – to keep someone or something safe from injury, damage, or loss
It is essential to protect endangered species from extinction.
[noun] – the quality of being important
The importance of education in a society cannot be overstated.
True or False:
- A Sumatran rhino baby was recently born in Way Kambas National Park, southern Sumatra.
- The baby rhino’s birth was a result of a female rhino from Sumatra mating with a male rhino from Ohio’s Cincinnati Zoo.
- The article mentions that Sumatran rhinos are thriving and not at risk of disappearing.
- The new baby rhino stood up within 45 minutes after birth and began nursing its mother, Ratu, four hours later.
- Conservation efforts, like the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary, are crucial in protecting the Sumatran rhinos, especially since they disappeared from Malaysia in 2019.
Fill in the blanks:
- Environmental pollution is a pressing __________ that needs immediate attention.
- The villagers often __________ for food in the nearby forest.
- The royal family celebrated the __________ of a new prince.
- It’s crucial to __________ endangered animals from harm.
- The __________ of education in shaping the future cannot be overstated.