- Have you come across the term “global heat” before?
- Do you think global heat can affect the weather in different countries?
- climate /KLAHY-mit/
- heat /heet /
- average /AV-er-ij/
- flood /fluhd /
- reduce /ri-DOOS/
[noun] – the general weather conditions usually found in a particular place
The climate in the tropical rainforest is characterized by high humidity and frequent rainfall.
[noun] – the quality of being hot or warm, or the temperature of something
The heat of the summer made everyone long for a refreshing swim in the pool.
[noun] – a standard or level that is considered to be typical or usual
The average temperature in this region during winter is around 5 degrees Celsius.
[noun] – a large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry
The heavy rain led to a flood in the low-lying areas of the city.
[verb] – to become or to make something smaller in size, amount, degree, or importance
We should reduce our energy consumption to help protect the environment.
True or False:
- In September 2023, the Earth experienced its hottest month ever recorded.
- This was the third consecutive year that September broke temperature records.
- The temperature in September 2023 was 0.5 degrees Celsius cooler than the previous record in 2020.
- Samantha Burgess expressed concern about the unusual heat in September.
- Zeke Hausfather described the situation as “gobsmackingly bananas,” indicating it was normal and expected.
Fill in the blanks:
- The _________in tropical regions is characterized by high temperatures and frequent rainfall.
- In an effort to combat air pollution, the city has implemented measures to _________ vehicle emissions.
- During the summer, the ______ from the sun makes it very warm outside, so we like to go swimming to cool off.
- The recent heavy rainfall caused a devastating _________ in the coastal town, displacing many residents.
- The _________ lifespan of a domestic cat is around 15 years, but some cats live much longer.