- Do you know what a parasite is?
- Have you seen an actual parasite?
- host /hohst/
- function /FUHNGK-shuhn/
- adapt /uh-DAPT/
- delicate /DEL-i-kit/
- mysterious /mi-STEER-ee-uhs/
[noun] – a plant or animal that another plant or animal lives on as a parasite
Dogs can be a host for various intestinal parasites.
[verb] – to work or operate
Without electricity, many modern devices cannot function properly.
[verb] – If a living thing adapts, it changes slightly over time so it can continue to exist in a particular environment
He quickly adapted to the new school environment and made friends.
[adjective] – needing careful treatment, especially because easily damaged
The delicate situation called for a sensitive approach to avoid any misunderstandings.
[adjective] – strange, not known, or not understood
The ancient artifact held a mysterious history that archaeologists were eager to uncover.
True or False:
- Horsehair worms are parasitic worms.
- Horsehair worms have a larger number of genes compared to other organisms.
- The study shows that horsehair worms lack many genes found in other species.
- Horsehair worms infect insects like grasshoppers and crickets.
- Horsehair worms start as long, thin worms in water and later become tiny larvae.
Fill in the blanks:
- The Arctic animals have evolved to ___________ to the extreme cold temperatures.
- The deer serves as a _____________ for the parasitic worm.
- The old abandoned house had a ___________ aura, making people wonder about its history and secrets.
- The new computer software is designed to ___________ more efficiently than the previous version.
- The orchid is a ___________ flower that requires specific care to thrive.