- erupt /ih-RUHPT/
- arid /AR-id/
- fragile /FRAJ-uhl/
- essence /ES-uhns /
- intensify /in-TEN-suh-fahy/
[verb] – to start suddenly and violently
The debate over the proposed environmental regulations erupted into a heated discussion among policymakers, highlighting the deep divisions on the issue.
[adjective] – very dry and without enough rain for plants
The arid desert landscape offered little respite from the scorching sun and relentless heat.
[adjective] – easily destroyed, ended, or made to fail
The fragile vase teetered on the edge of the shelf, causing everyone to hold their breath in anticipation of a potential accident.
[noun] – the basic or most important idea or quality of something
The essence of her argument was captured in a single powerful quote that resonated with the entire audience.
[verb] – to become greater, more serious, or more extreme, or to make something do this:
As the competition progressed, the athletes could feel their determination intensify, pushing them to give their absolute best in each performance.
Tenerife, renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty and vibrant tourism sector, now grapples with an unparalleled challenge that threatens its very essence. As endeavors to control the fire intensify, the eyes of the world are fixed on updates regarding the situation’s evolution. This incident serves as a poignant reminder of the escalating wildfire risk amidst changing climate patterns, underscoring the critical imperative for global collaboration to tackle these mounting environmental crises head-on.
- Have you ever personally encountered the effects of a wildfire? If so, could you describe how it influenced your surroundings and daily routine? If not, can you imagine how you might react and adapt if confronted with one?
- Have you encountered any situations where you’ve observed emergency services or authorities swiftly addressing a crisis? If so, could you detail how their prompt actions influenced the eventual result? If not, in your opinion, what would be an ideal approach for authorities to adopt when responding to emergencies such as wildfires?
- Does the wildfire situation in Tenerife highlight the need for global collaboration in addressing environmental crises?
- How might the combination of scorching temperatures, arid conditions, and strong winds contribute to the rapid escalation and spread of wildfires like the one on Tenerife?
- In what ways can the collaboration between local authorities and neighboring regions impact the effectiveness of disaster response efforts, especially during emergencies like this wildfire?