©Arun Thakur / AFP – Getty Images
- What do you think are the most significant impacts or consequences of air pollution on the environment and human health?
- Can you describe some sources or factors contributing to air pollution that you are aware of?
- crisis /KRAHY-sis /
- affect /uh-FEKT/
- resident /REZ-i-duhnt/
- tackle /TAK-uhl/
- vital /VAHYT-l/
[noun] – an extremely difficult or dangerous point in a situation
The pandemic created a crisis, disrupting normal life worldwide.
[verb] – to have an influence on someone or something, or to cause a change in someone or something
The heatwave may affect crops, causing lower yields this season.
[noun] – a person who lives or has their home in a place
The residents of the neighborhood organized a community clean-up event.
[verb] – to try to deal with something or someone
The team plans to tackle the issue of pollution in the local river.
[adjective] – necessary for the success or continued existence of something; extremely important
Clean water is vital for sustaining life on Earth.
Efforts to address this crisis include shifting classes online and a high demand for indoor air purifiers. However, besides health concerns, the widespread pollution significantly affects social life. The high AQI levels, reaching around 480, have caused respiratory problems in children and discomfort in residents. New Delhi faces a thick haze due to rising air pollution, with factors like still winds and nearby crop burning causing eye and throat discomfort. Measures to tackle the pollution involve closing schools and increasing air purifier use indoors. But aside from health issues, the haze affects outdoor activities and social connections, diminishing the city’s vibrancy. The seriousness of this urban air pollution demands immediate, comprehensive solutions, urging action to address causes and enforce stricter rules. Collective efforts are vital to protect public health and revive the energy of city life in New Delhi.
- What major challenge is faced by bustling cities like New Delhi, and what recent environmental conditions have impacted daily routines?
- What specific type of air pollution has increased in New Delhi, leading to the closure of schools and restrictions on outdoor activities?
- How has the Air Quality Index (AQI) affected vulnerable groups in New Delhi?
- What measures have been taken to address the air pollution crisis in New Delhi, besides health concerns?
- How has the widespread pollution affected social life in New Delhi?
- Have you seen or felt how bad air pollution affects your daily life, like when schools close or you can’t play outside? If yes, how did it affect your day, and how did you feel? If not, how do you think it might change your routines and activities you enjoy?
- Have you or anyone you know used air purifiers or other things to make the air inside cleaner because of smoky air outside? If yes, did it help with any health problems? If not, how do you think people can deal with bad air that affects their health and daily lives?
- Do you think the things being done now, like closing schools and using air purifiers, are enough to fix the pollution problems in cities?
- Do you think bad air in cities affects more than just health? Like, do you think it also makes it hard for people to spend time together and makes cities less fun? Why or why not?
- What do you think could be done to really fix air pollution in cities? Something that would work for a long time and make life better for people who live there?