© Liu Zhongjun via CNN
- hit the road / hit thu rohd/
- commemorate /kuh-MEM-uh-reyt/
- leap /leep/
- foresee /fawr-SEE/
- precaution /pri-KAW-shuhn/
[phrasal verb] – set out on a journey
On our first day in Vietnam, we hit the road early in the morning.
[verb] – to show honor to the memory of an important person or event in a special way
They commemorated their grandfather’s sacrifice for the country by visiting his tomb.
[noun] – a great and sudden change, increase, or improvement
Through the participation of the people in the community, a leap happened.
[verb] – to know about something before it happens
They did not foresee the danger of the typhoon that’s why they still went on camping.
[noun] – an action that is done to prevent something unpleasant or dangerous happening
In order to avoid the transmission of the virus, we took safety precautions while traveling.
Chen Qianmei, a woman from the southern part of Guangzhou, traveled to Shanghai on Tuesday to go on vacation. She added that she was not thinking about the virus; however, she still observed safety precautions. “I think China has (the virus) under pretty good control,” she said. “I’m wearing masks and bringing alcohol wipes with me to clean my hands, especially before eating — although in Shanghai, few people wear masks now.”
True or False:
- Christmas Day is one of the busiest days for leisure in China.
- Chen Qianmei, a woman from the southern part of Guangzhou, observes safety precautions.
- 350 million domestic trips were foreseen to be booked this year.
- A few people were expected to travel to commemorate the National Day holiday.
- In Shanghai, millions of people still wear masks to protect themselves from the virus.
- Do you really think it is really safe for Chinese to travel around their country now? Please explain your answeer.
- Aside from traveling, do you know other ways how the Chinese people commemorate a special day?
- What kinds of safety precautions do you observe to protect yourself from Covid-19?
- What is the first thing that you would do, if the spreading of the virus had already been contained?
- How does your family celebrate a special occasion?
Express Your Opinion:
- “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” ― Benjamin Franklin
- “Every day is a good day. There is something to learn, care and celebrate.” ― Amit Ray, Walking the Path of Compassion
- “Not all those who wander are lost” ― J.R.R. Tolkien