- vaccinate /VAK-suh-neyt/
- self-isolate /self AHY-suh-lit/
- New Zealander /noo zee-luhnd-ir/
- restriction /ri-STRIK-shuhn/
- vulnerable /VUHL-ner-uh-buhl/
[verb] – to give someone a vaccine, usually by injection, to prevent them from getting a disease
The children were vaccinated against major diseases.
[verb] – to not leave your home and to stay away from other people when you have, or may have, an infectious disease, so that you do not infect anyone else
If you self-isolate, you will stay indoors for 14 days and avoid interaction with others.
[noun] – a person from New Zealand
I’m a New Zealander who is studying Chinese.
[noun] – an official limit on something
The park is open to the public without restriction.
[adjective] – able to be easily physically, emotionally, or mentally hurt, influenced, or attacked
You must try not to appear vulnerable.
Fully vaccinated New Zealand citizens and residents who are currently in Australia will be able to return from January 16 onwards in the first phase of the reopening. New Zealanders who are currently residing in any other country will be able to enter on February 13. From April 30, foreign visitors will be the final group to be allowed entry into the country. All tourists must be fully vaccinated, self-isolate for seven days, and have their Covid levels tested upon arrival. “This (phased approach) reduces any potential impacts on vulnerable communities and the New Zealand health system,” Mr. Hipkins said. Only New Zealand nationals and permanent residents are currently permitted to enter the country, and they must stay in government-run quarantine motels for seven days. The rules have effectively kept away many New Zealanders who seek to return because these have restricted spaces.
- Has your country already opened its borders to foreigners? Could you tell me more about it?
- What Covid restrictions are still being implemented in your country? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Which country would you like to go to if travel restrictions were already lifted? Why?
- Do you agree that all tourists must be fully vaccinated, self-isolate for seven days, and have their Covid levels tested upon arrival?
- What do you think of New Zealand’s plan to reopen to travelers who have been vaccinated? Please elaborate on your answer.