- For you, what is hard work?
- Who do you consider a hard worker? (a family member, a friend, etc.)
- career /kuh-REER/
- worth /wurth/
- effort /EF-ert/
- brilliant /BRIL-yuhnt/
- manage /MAN-ij/
[noun] – the job or series of jobs that you do during your working life
My brother wants to have a career in writing.
[adjective] – to be important or interesting enough to receive a particular action
“No Longer Human” is worth reading. I highly recommend it.
[noun] – physical or mental activity needed to achieve something
The work doesn’t need too much effort, so you’ll be fine.
[adjective] – extremely intelligent or skilled
Her mother is a brilliant public speaker.
[verb] – to be responsible for controlling or organizing someone or something
It’s important to learn how to manage your time well.
Executive coach Jeff Shannon says that “hard work is a good start” and it can definitely help you get a position early in your career, but it won’t get you ahead of everyone. Hard work isn’t worth anything if no one notices you’re doing it. In today’s changing workplace, you must make people—including yourself—recognize your efforts. This is called the “tiara effect” by Carol Frohlinger, president of a US-based consulting firm. In most organizations, having the skills isn’t enough; you also need to be likable to succeed. You must be a brilliant worker and someone who can be viewed as a leader to get to the top.
Sometimes, taking control of a situation may be needed to improve. You are the only one who has the power to manage your career.
True or False:
- People were taught from a young age that hard work is the only way to succeed.
- Jeff Shannon says that hard work can definitely help people get ahead of everyone else.
- In today’s changing workplace, it is important to make others recognize your efforts.
- In most organizations, it is enough to have the skills.
- People must also be seen as a leader to get to the top.
Fill in the blanks:
- The team made every _______ to reach its goals.
- We wished Yuki good luck in her new _______ as a teacher.
- That’s a _______ idea! Let’s do it.
- Akio _______ his team and the projects well.
- I recently finished the new movie. It’s not _______ watching.