- outperform /out-per-FAWRM/
- obstacle /OB-stuh-kuhl/
- valiantly /VAL-yuhnt-lee/
- tonne /tuhn/
- digestion /dih-JES-chuhn/
[verb] – to do well in a particular job or activity compared to others of a similar type
This season, the corporation has routinely outperformed its competitors.
[noun] – something that blocks you so that movement, going forward, or action is prevented or made more difficult
Overcrowding remains a large obstacle to improving conditions in the area.
[adverb] – in a way that is brave or determined when a situation is very difficult
These soldiers have defended valiantly for us.
[noun] – a unit of weight in the metric system, equal to 1,000 kilograms or 2,204.6 pounds
This year’s oil deliveries will be 2.5 million tonnes.
[noun] – the process by which your body digests food, or your ability to digest food
Laughter at breakfast is bad for digestion.
Food waste has been collected separately from households across Wales for the past decade as part of an effort to recycle it. The Welsh government says that hot and compacted conditions in landfills transform food waste into methane gas, which is 30 to 80 times more harmful to climate change than carbon dioxide emissions. Food waste from 22 local authorities in Wales is delivered to one of five anaerobic digestion plants across the country, where it is transformed into 7 MW of electricity. According to the Welsh government, this is enough to power about 12,000 houses.
- What things do you recycle in your country? Could you please tell me more about them?
- What things at home can be used for a long time? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Would you also implement recycling the way Wales does it in your country? Why?
- Do you agree that recycling helps save energy?
- What do you think of converting trash to energy? Please elaborate on your answer.