- surpass /ser-PAS/
- pledge /plej/
- reaffirm /re uh-FURM/
- wildfire /WAHYLD-fahyuhr/
- heatwave /HEET-weyv/
[verb] – to do or be better or more than something else
It will be hard to surpass this very high score.
[verb] – to make a serious or formal promise to give or do something
I pledge you my words that it will never happen again.
[verb] – to give your support to a person, plan, idea, etc. for a second time; to state something as true again
Teachers reaffirm their commitment to their pupils and schools.
[noun] – a fire that is burning strongly and out of control on an area of grass or bushes in the countryside
Late Monday, the wildfire was still out of control.
[noun] – a period of time such as a few weeks when the weather is much hotter than usual
Researchers say that exercising regularly before a heatwave comes will help both men and women cope better.
In 2015, the average global temperature first surpassed these levels by 1 degree. The Paris Climate Agreement, which pledged the world to keep the rise in global temperatures far below 2C while pursuing efforts to keep them under 1.5C, was also signed that year by political leaders. Governments reaffirmed their commitment to maintaining “1.5C alive” at COP26 in Glasgow last November. Scientists say the world has already experienced significant effects of 1C warming, such as the extreme wildfires that ravaged North America last year or the current heatwaves that are causing great damage in India and Pakistan.
- When was the last time you experienced a heatwave? Could you tell me about it?
- What small ways have you done to lessen the burden of global warning? Please elaborate on your answer.
- If you were to be president, how would you address this problem?
- Do you believe that heatwaves and extreme wildfires are the results of global warming?
- What long-term solution can you think of to address this issue? Please elaborate on your answer.