- legislation /lej-is-LEY-shuhn /
- amend /uh-MEND/
- deem /deem/
- reliant /ri-LAHY-uhnt/
- intent /in-TENT/
[noun] – a law or set of laws suggested by a government and made official by a parliament
The government is considering new legislation to protect endangered species and their habitats.
[verb] – to change the words of a text, especially a law or a legal document
The government plans to amend the immigration policy in order to make it more inclusive and fair for all applicants.
[verb] – to consider or judge something in a particular way
The teacher will deem the project successful if it meets all the specified requirements.
[adjective] – needing a particular thing or person in order to continue, to work correctly, or to succeed
The hospital is heavily reliant on donations from the community to provide necessary medical equipment and supplies.
[noun] – the fact that you want and plan to do something
His intent to help others led him to volunteer at the local shelter every weekend.
Previously, Google had criticized the Canadian law, deeming it “unworkable” in its current form and proposing amendments. However, the Canadian government maintains that the legislation will ensure fair compensation for struggling news outlets and enhance fairness in the digital news market within the country. While Google’s decision to block Canadian news links raises concerns for media associations and outlets reliant on the search engine for web traffic, the duration of this ban and its implications for Canadian users remain uncertain. Google has expressed its intent to participate in the regulatory process and maintain transparency with Canadians and publishers. News Media Canada, representing numerous news organizations, believes there is still potential for a balanced and fair resolution, urging all stakeholders to engage actively in the regulatory process.
- Where do you usually rely for news? What factors or reasons have influenced your trust in that particular source or platform?
- Have you ever relied on Google as a primary source for accessing news content? If so, can you share your experience? If not, are you familiar with using Google as a primary source for accessing news content?
- Do you believe there should be greater accountability and transparency from tech giants like Google in how they handle news content?
- How do you think the Online News Act and Google’s response to it will shape the future of news distribution and consumption in Canada?
- How has the current situation involving Google and the Online News Act influenced your trust in news sources and platforms?
- take effect